Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, March 3, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 62. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 44. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Mostly sunny skies are expected for the next week, with highs in the low 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1791 Congress passes a resolution authorizing the U.S. Mint; legislation creating the mint will be passed on Apr. 2, 1792.
- 1803 The first impeachment trial of a U.S. Judge, John Pickering, begins.
- 1817 The first commercial steamboat route from Louisville to New Orleans is opened.
- 1845 Florida becomes the 27th U.S. state.
- 1847 Birth of Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the first telephone as well as other devices.
- 1863 President Abraham Lincoln signs the conscription act compelling U.S. citizens to report for duty in the Civil War or pay $300.00.
- 1873 Birth of William Green, President of the American Federation of Labor.
- 1877 Rutherford B. Hayes, the republican governor of Ohio is elected president, his election confirmed by an electoral commission after disputed election the previous November.
- 1895 Birth of Matthew Ridgway, U.S. Army leader in World War II and Korea.
- 1919 Boeing flies the first U.S. international airmail from Vancouver, British Columbia to Seattle, Washington.
- 1923 The first issue of Time magazine is published. It’s editor, Henry R. Luce, is just out of Yale.
- 1931 President Herbert Hoover signs a bill that makes Francis Scott Key’s “Star Spangled Banner,” the national anthem.
- 1952 The U.S. Supreme Court upholds New York’s Feinberg Law banning Communist teachers in the United States.
- 1969 Sirhan Sirhan testifies in a court in Los Angeles that he killed Robert Kennedy.
- 1999 Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky appears on national television to explain her affair with President Bill Clinton.