The FBI and partners with the United States Attorney’s Office, the Los Angeles Police Department, the Hawthorne Police Department, and the Inglewood Police Department joined today to announce an investigation and reward offer related to a series of armed robberies over the past year in Los Angeles County targeting armored vehicles committed by a group of suspects nicknamed the “Chesapeake Bandits.”
The group has been nicknamed the Chesapeake Bandits since investigators believe the group is meeting and staging the robberies at a residence on Chesapeake Avenue in the West Adams neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Collectively, the group has been linked to robberies with losses in the hundreds of thousands. Investigators believe the group will continue to commit robberies until all suspects are identified and arrested. Investigators believe the armored vehicle drivers were surveilled in advance of the robberies.
Two individuals, Deneyvous Hobson, 36, of Los Angeles, and James Russell Davis, 34, of Los Angeles, were charged federally in a criminal complaint filed on February 17, 2023, in the United States District Court in Los Angeles with Conspiracy to Interfere with Commerce by Robbery. Hobson was arrested on Tuesday, February 21, 2023, and was detained at his initial appearance in federal court. He is being held in federal custody in Los Angeles as he awaits prosecution and is scheduled to be arraigned on March 16.
Davis is being sought and is considered a fugitive. An arrest warrant has been issued for Davis, and a photo and description of Davis can be found here: Wanted: James Russell Davis
At least five other individuals are believed to be part of the Chesapeake Bandits and are currently unknown subjects. Surveillance photos of the unknown subjects can be found here: Wanted: Unknown Subjects
Anyone who may recognize suspect clothing or may have heard someone discussing their involvement is urged to call the FBI with a tip. A reward of up to $25,000 is being offered by the FBI in exchange for information leading to an arrest in this case.
Anyone with information may remain anonymous, and confidentiality is guaranteed.
This group has targeted drive-thru ATMs and other businesses, including check-cashing locations. The suspects operate by overtaking the armored car driver when they service drive-thru ATMs or exit businesses. During the robberies, the victim drivers are zip-tied and held at gunpoint. They then enter the armed vehicle and steal the money.
On one occasion, a shot was fired, but no one was harmed to date. Investigators believe that if the Chesapeake Bandits are not caught and become more brazen, someone will be harmed or killed.
Anyone with information about Hobson, Davis, or the unknown subjects alleged to be part of the Chesapeake Bandits, is urged to contact the FBI’s toll-free tipline at 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324).
Anyone who would like to provide a tip online can do so at Tips.FBI.gov.
Brinks, one of the victim companies, has offered to match the FBI’s reward offer of up to $25,000 in exchange for information leading to the arrest and indictment of a person or persons involved in the robberies of Brinks Armored Vehicles in the Los Angeles, California region. The reward will be paid to Crimestoppers or a related organization if it results in the case closure.
This investigation is being conducted by the FBI, the Los Angeles Police Department, the Hawthorne Police Department, and the Inglewood Police Department. The prosecution is being handled by the United States Attorney’s Office.
Additional details about each robbery and the vehicles fugitive Davis may be driving are listed below.
Details of the Robberies
Investigators believe that Davis may be driving one of the vehicles registered to him, as follows:
- 2008 White Chevy Tahoe 4-door SUV: CA 7ABW490
- 2015 White Lexus GS 350 4d Sedan: CA 9BNL712
- 2020 Black Chevy Blazer 4d SUV: CA 8ULA955
Vehicles described as getaway vehicles used during the commission of the robberies are described in detail below.
- On 2/14/22, at 8:48 a.m., multiple suspects robbed a Sectran Security armored car driver at the Wescom Credit Union on 2871 W. 120th Street in Hawthorne. Seen was what was described as an AR-15 with optic and a black semi-automatic handgun, as well as a late model white Honda Accord sedan as the getaway vehicle.
- On 6/9/2022, at 7:50 a.m., multiple suspects robbed a Loomis armored car driver at the Bank of America at 11525 Crenshaw Boulevard in Inglewood. Seen was what was described as a dark short-barreled assault rifle, as well as a late model silver or gray Chevrolet Equinox SUV as the getaway vehicle.
- On 9/15/2022, at 12:20 p.m., multiple suspects robbed a Brinks armored car driver at the PLS Check Cashers at 2601 S. La Brea Avenue in Los Angeles. Seen was what was described as a black assault-style rifle with an optic, as well as a late model gray Ford Explorer SUV as the getaway vehicle.
- On 1/9/2023, at 7:15 a.m., multiple suspects robbed a Brinks armored car driver at a 99 Cents Only Stores location at 3060 S. Crenshaw Boulevard in Los Angeles. Seen was what was described as an AR-style rifle, as well as a late model black Kia K5 as the getaway vehicle.
- On 2/25/2023, at 9:56 a.m., multiple suspects robbed a Brinks armored car driver at a PLS Check Cashers at 2601 S. La Brea Avenue in Los Angeles. Seen was what was described as a rifle with a green laser, as well as a late model tan/light colored SUV; possibly a white Toyota RAV4 SUV as the getaway vehicle.