Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, March 8, 2023:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 62. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. West wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
A mix of sun and clouds is expected for the next week, with a chance of rain on Friday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1783 Birth of Hannah Hoes Van Buren, wife of Martin Van Buren
- 1790 George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address.
- 1841 Birth of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., U.S. Supreme Court Justice
- 1853 The first bronze statue of Andrew Jackson is unveiled in Washington, D.C.
- 1862 On the second day of the Battle of Pea Ridge, Confederate forces, including some Indian troops, under General Earl Van Dorn surprise Union troops, but the Union troops win the battle.
- 1862 The Confederate ironclad C.S.S. Virginia (formerly U.S.S. Merrimack) is launched.
- 1880 President Rutherford B. Hayes declares that the United States will have jurisdiction over any canal built across the Isthmus of Panama.
- 1943 Japanese forces attack American troops on Hill 700 in Bougainville. The battle will last five days.
- 1945 Phyllis Mae Daley receives a commission in the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps. She will become the first African-American nurse to serve duty in World War II.
- 1948 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that religious instruction in public schools is unconstitutional.
- 1965 More than 4,000 Marines land at Da Nang in South Vietnam and become the first U.S. combat troops in Vietnam.
- 1970 The Nixon administration discloses the deaths of 27 Americans in Laos.