Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, March 10, 2023:
Rain, mainly after 10am. High near 59. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Rain, mainly before 10pm. Low around 52. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Another storm system is expected to pass through the region next week, starting late Monday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1656 In the colony of Virginia, suffrage is extended to all free men regardless of their religion.
- 1776 “Common Sense” by Thomas Paine is published.
- 1785 Thomas Jefferson is appointed minister to France.
- 1845 Birth of Hallie Quinn Brown, American educator, women’s rights leader.
- 1848 The treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo is signed which ends the United States’ war with Mexico.
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell makes the first telephone call to Thomas Watson saying “Watson, come here. I need you.”
- 1893 New Mexico State University cancels its first graduation ceremony, because the only graduate was robbed and killed the night before.
- 1924 The U.S. Supreme Court upholds a New York state law forbidding late-night work for women.
- 1933 Nevada becomes the first U.S. state to regulate drugs.
- 1945 American B-29 bombers attack Tokyo, killing 100,000.
- 1948 Author Zelda Fitzgerald (wife of F. Scott) dies in a fire at Highland Hospital.
- 1953 North Korean gunners at Wonsan fire on the USS Missouri, the ship responds by firing 998 rounds at the enemy position.
- 1954 President Dwight Eisenhower calls Senator Joseph McCarthy a peril to the Republican Party.
- 1966 The North Vietnamese capture a Green Beret camp at Ashau Valley.
- 1969 James Earl Ray pleads guilty to the murder of Dr. Martin Luther King and is sentenced to 99 years in jail.
- 1971 The Senate approves a Constitutional amendment to lower the voting age to 18.
- 1982 The United States bans Libyan oil imports, because of the continued support of terrorism.