Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, March 13, 2023:
Partly sunny, with a high near 67. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Another storm system is expected to pass through the region Tuesday through Wednesday, followed by mostly cloudy to partly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1660 A statute is passed limiting the sale of slaves in the colony of Virginia.
- 1777 Congress orders its European envoys to appeal to high-ranking foreign officers to send troops to reinforce the American army.
- 1793 Eli Whitney patents the cotton gin.
- 1798 Birth of Abigail Powers Fillmore, First Lady and wife of Millard Fillmore
- 1855 Birth of Percival Lowell, astronomer who predicted the discovery of Pluto.
- 1861 Jefferson Davis signs a bill authorizing slaves to be used as soldiers for the Confederacy.
- 1868 The U.S. Senate begins the impeachment trial of President Andrew Johnson.
- 1918 Women are scheduled to march in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York due to a shortage of men.
- 1942 Julia Flikke of the Nurse Corps becomes the first woman colonel in the U.S. Army.
- 1943 Japanese forces end their attack on the American troops on Hill 700 in Bougainville.
- 1957 The FBI arrests Jimmy Hoffa on bribery charges.
- 1974 The U.S. Senate votes 54-33 to restore the death penalty.
- 1974 Arab nations decide to end the oil embargo on the United States.
- 1981 The United States plans to send 15 Green Berets to El Salvador as military advisors.
- 1991 Exxon pays $1 billion in fines and costs for the clean-up of the Alaskan oil spill.