Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, March 16, 2023:
Partly sunny, with a high near 63. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
Partly sunny skies is forecast, followed by a slight chance of rain early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1621 The first Indian appears to colonists in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- 1751 Birth of James Madison, fourth President of the United States (1809-17).
- 1822 Birth of John Pope, Union general in the American Civil War.
- 1833 Susan Hayhurst becomes the first woman to graduate from a pharmacy college.
- 1850 Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter is published.
- 1865 Union troops push past Confederate blockers at the Battle of Averasborough, N.C.
- 1912 Birth of Thelma Catherine Patricia Ryan Nixon, first lady to President Richard Nixon.
- 1913 The 15,000-ton battleship Pennsylvania is launched at Newport News, Va.
- 1926 Physicist Robert H. Goddard launches the first liquid-fuel rocket.
- 1926 Birth of Jerry Lewis, American comedian and film actor.
- 1928 The United States plans to send 1,000 more Marines to Nicaragua.
- 1945 Iwo Jima is declared secure by U.S. forces although small pockets of Japanese resistance still exist.
- 1954 CBS introduces The Morning Show hosted by Walter Cronkite to compete with NBC’s Today Show.
- 1964 President Lyndon B. Johnson submits a $1 billion war on poverty program to Congress.
- 1968 U.S. troops in Vietnam destroy a village consisting mostly of women and children, the action is remembered as the My-Lai massacre.
- 1985 Associated Press newsman Terry Anderson is taken hostage in Beirut.